Take a trip to the historic heart of Sonoma County, where incredible dining experiences await, and charming tasting rooms and boutiques shops line the streets. The downtown Sonoma Plaza is the centerpiece of this booming Wine Country, so when you visit downtown, be sure to take advantage of everything that it offers.
Below, we’ve provided a comprehensive guide of the best things to do in downtown Sonoma, CA, but if you are searching for more, simply download our free Sonoma Valley Vacation Guide. Our guide includes over 100 recommendations on the area’s best wineries, restaurants, parks, festivals, and entertainment.
Your Guide to Downtown Sonoma, CA
Historic Sites & Museums
Downtown Sonoma is a history buff’s paradise. When you visit, enhance your experience with a trip to one (or all) of these historic sites:
- Depot Park Museum, 1st Street West
- Bear Flag Revolt Monument, 1st Street East
- General Joseph Hooker House, 1st Street East
- Maysonnave House, 1st Street East
- Lachryma Montis, East Spain Street
- Mission San Francisco Solano de Sonoma, East Spain Street
- “Casa Grande” Servants Quarters, East Spain Street
- Sonoma Barracks, East Spain Street
- General Vallejo’s Home, West Spain Street
Art, Galleries, & Theater
Sonoma’s history, natural beauty, and Wine Country mystique make it fertile ground for both artists and art lovers. Some of the best places to explore the arts in downtown Sonoma include:
- Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, Broadway
- SYX Gallery, Broadway
- Lisa Kristine Gallery, 1st Street East
- Sebastiani Theater, 1st Street East
- Arts Guild of Sonoma, East Napa Street
- Fairmont Gallery, 1st Street West
Wineries, Restaurants, & Breweries
The downtown Sonoma restaurants and wineries are absolutely spectacular! Indulge accordingly with a trip to any of these wineries, breweries, or restaurants:
- Ravenswood Winery, Gehricke Road
- Sebastiani Vineyards & Winery, 4th Street East
- Lake Sonoma Winery, 1st Street West
- Landa Vineyards, East Napa Street
- Sonoma Springs Brewing Co., Riverside Drive
- The Plaza Bistro – Mediterranean cuisine, 1st Street East
- La Salette – Portuguese cuisine, 1st Street East
- El Dorado Kitchen – California-Mediterranean fare, 1st Street West
- Delhi Belly Indian Bistro – Indian restaurant, Broadway
- The Girl & The Fig – French restaurant, West Spain Street
Whether you are searching for local artwork to brighten your home or a new addition to your wardrobe, downtown Sonoma shopping won’t disappoint. Some of our favorite places to shop downtown are:
- The Kats Meow – Local artwork, 1st Street East
- Filigree Estate Jewelers – Antiques, fine jewelry, etc. – 1st Street East
- Wine Country Chocolates – World-class truffles and confections, 1st Street East
- Terra Firma Gallery – Art and jewelry, 1st Street East
- Bossa Nova – Trendy clothing and luxurious fabrics, Broadway
- Three Dog Bakery – Handmade natural dog treats and food, Broadway
- Wildeflower – Clothing, jewelry, and handbags, West Napa Street
- The Candlestick – California’s oldest specialty candle store, West Spain Street
- Summer Vine – Unique gifts and home furnishings, West Spain Street
- Sonoma Silver Company – Handcrafted sterling silver jewelry, 1st Street West
Helpful Links & Tips for Your Trip
- View the downtown Sonoma map to help you navigate the Sonoma Plaza!
- Get directions to downtown Sonoma.
- With so much to do downtown, it can be hard to plan your days. Take advantage of our concierge services at Olea Hotel to help plan your ideal, customized trip.
Book Your Stay at Olea Hotel
Olea Hotel enjoys a unique combination of proximity to downtown Sonoma along with the peacefulness of Glen Ellen’s countryside. Located just 20 minutes away from the Sonoma Plaza, our inn is the perfect place to stay and explore the best of what Wine Country offers. All of our guests enjoy an array of luxurious amenities, including daily gourmet breakfast, complimentary wine, and weekend wine tasting events!
Book the Upper View King Room and relax on the outdoor porch with wonderful views of the valley. This accommodation features a deluxe king bed, comfortable seating area, desk, fireplace, bathroom with heated floors, 50” flat screen TV, vaulted ceilings, and soaking bathtub and shower combination. Check our availability today! We can’t wait to welcome you to Sonoma Wine Country!
Remember to download your free vacation guide to find more great things to do in downtown Sonoma, CA!