When is the best time to visit California Wine Country? It all depends on what you want to do! Read on to discover what you need to know about the year-round weather in Glen Ellen, CA, and the best ways to enjoy each season! Afterward, if you are looking for more fun things to do, download our free Sonoma Valley Vacation Guide! Our guide is full of over 100 recommendations on wineries, restaurants, parks, and more.
The Weather in Glen Ellen, CA
Autumn is the most popular time to visit Glen Ellen and Sonoma Valley. This beautiful season welcomes grape harvesting, olive harvesting, and a variety of fall events! During the autumn, high averages range from 85 in September to 65 in November. The low temperatures range from 51 in September to 42 degrees in November. A few of our favorite things to enjoy throughout the season are:
- Hiking through the Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve.
- Celebrating at a variety of harvest season events.
- Exploring Sonoma’s fall colors in late autumn.
Winter is the perfect time to discover Sonoma Valley from a quieter perspective. The climate in Glen Ellen is relatively stable throughout the year, so it is a great place for those who wish to escape the snow. Winters are mild, with lows of about 40 from December through February. The season also offers plenty of warmth, with highs of 56 in December and 62 in February. You can expect occasional mist, rain, and fog. If you are visiting during the winter, we recommend the following activities!
- Enjoying the area’s festive holiday decor.
- Taking a trip to Bodega Bay. You may even spot some migrating whales!
- Visiting the area’s many vineyards and catching a glimpse of the vibrant mustard blooms.
Springtime in Sonoma welcomes reawakening vineyards, brilliant wildflowers, warmer days, and plenty of activity! Spring is characterized by lows of about 45 from March through May. Average high temperatures range from 65 in March to 76 in May. Some of our favorite ways to enjoy spring in Glen Ellen include:
- Shopping the area’s many vibrant farmer’s markets. However, if you can’t make it to Sonoma in the spring, you will be happy to know that many markets stay open throughout the year!
- Relaxing with live music and wine tasting on the patio of a local winery.
- Enjoying Wine Country golf at its finest.
With school out, summer is another popular time for visitors in Sonoma and Glen Ellen. You can look forward to days filled with sunshine and plenty of ways to cool off! High temperatures from June through August are in the low to high 80s. Mornings are cool, with low temperatures averaging at 51 degrees. Here are a few refreshing ways to enjoy summer in Sonoma!
- Ziplining through the redwood forests.
- Touring the breweries in the area and sampling the local craft beer.
- Rafting on the Russian River.
Book Your Stay at Olea Hotel
With all of the conveniences of a bed and breakfast and the luxury of a boutique hotel, a stay at Olea Hotel is an experience in and of itself. When you book a stay in any of our elegant accommodations, like our Hillside Queen Rooms, you can always look forward to the best amenities, packages, and top-notch service. We offer each of our guests daily gourmet breakfast, complimentary wine in the lobby, weekend wine tastings, and more!
Surrounded by beautiful oak and olive trees and just minutes away from downtown Glen Ellen, Olea Hotel is the perfect place to stay and enjoy the best of what Sonoma Valley offers! If you are ready to plan your next getaway, check our availability and book your stay. We can’t wait to welcome you to Wine Country California!
Now that you know what weather to expect during your stay in Glen Ellen, CA, remember to download your free vacation guide to discover more of the area’s best year-round activities!